Snapchat has been implementing changes over the past few weeks in attempts to make its app more comprehensive and competitive in the social media advertising arena. It recently launched Ad Manager, its own version of an ad management platform, along with a new filter feature that helps to promote nearby local businesses. It also abandoned its ephemeral-photos feature by creating an option that plays snaps to infinity.
Snapchat has always faced an uphill battle in the social media advertising world; with Facebook’s ever increasing dominance and the ongoing copying of its Stories features. Snapchat has had to play smart and become more and more advertising friendly. This has led to abandoning its aversion to advertisements within the app and has now seen the development of new targeting tools reminiscent to Facebook’s.
The full comprehensive list of targeting options currently offered by Snapchat are below:
Snap lifestyle categories
– Over 60 interest categories like parenting, political news, music festivals and more based on signals like which content Snapchatters watch on our platform.
– Basic (age and gender) and advanced (mums, Spanish speakers, household income and college graduates) demographic targeting options.
– Target an audience by country, state, region or designated market area.
– Target by device, operating system, carrier and mobile connectivity (like Wi-Fi or 3G).
Snap audience match
– Anonymously match data from your existing contacts (email or device ID) with Snapchat community
– Target users with similar characteristics to your existing customers. Select from three different lookalike options: similarity, balanced and reach.
Snap engagement audiences
– Engage with users who have interacted with Snap Ads, Geofilters or Lenses in your past campaigns.
Oracle / Datalogix Shopper
– Third-party segments that are rooted in offline, purchase-based data and include 85 shopper audiences, such as luxury clothing shoppers, pet owners and business travellers.
comScore TV & film viewer
– 33 pre-defined and targetable comScore audiences based on TV and movie viewership.
PlaceIQ location visitors
– PlaceIQ is a location intelligence and analytics company that allows advertisers to reach users based on the places that consumers visit over the course of their day, like restaurants, shops, car dealerships and entertainment venues.